Guardianships - Conservatorships

The decision to act as Legal Guardian or financial Conservator for a loved one is not always an easy one. Elderly adults often become resistant to help and families often disagree about what is best for their loved ones. Established family roles can be upset by one person assuming the role of decision maker. Whether your loved one is disabled or an elderly parent who is no longer able to care for themselves, Peak Legal Group LLC can help you through this process. If the need for future assistance is anticipated, such as in the case of progressive dementia, we can help families avoid a formal Guardianship or Conservatorship by creating a Durable Power of Attorney or a Trust with disability provisions. By doing so, your loved one can retain some of their independence while ensuring that they receive the care they need.

We can also assist with obtaining a Kinship Guardianship for a child whose parent(s) are unable to care for them. Once a person is appointed as guardian, the rights and responsibilities of the child’s parents are transferred to the guardian. If a child is in the legal custody of the State, Guardianship can only be obtained through the Children’s Code. Before a person can be appointed Guardian under the Children’s Code, the State Children, Youth and Families Department must consent to the appointment of the Guardian or the District Court must overrule the Department. Peak Legal Group LLC excels at working with families with children in State custody to provide for the best interests of the child.

Hal and Sheryl both have more than 25 years of courtroom experience in guardianship and conservatorship cases and they can help your family to establish what is best for you and your loved one.

For more information, see our Contact Us page or send us an email at